It was six years ago today that this precious girl came into our lives. Life as we knew it would never be the same. The following is long, but it's my blog and I want to post it! ha
This was an email I sent out on May 10, 2001:
Hi everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I have been able to write! We had internet trouble, but that is all settled now, thank God!!!! I know so many must be wondering about Cala and us!!!!! Here's the report........
Tuesday morning, we took care of the necessary paperwork at the courthouse and Ovir. That all took about an hour and then it was time to get our daughter!!! (Of course, that was the happiest time). :o) We arrived at the Baby House and took in our gifts. I handed Dr. Olga the clothes we brought for Cala to wear home and then in about 10 minutes at the most, in came Cala and a caretaker I had never met. Of course, Cala was beautiful!!!! She went right to Papa as Mama was busy writing down information that Dr. Olga wanted me to have (more in depth info on her schedule and what she likes and dislikes). We were also given her list of vaccinations.We were soon on our way home!
We sat Cala down to see what she would do. She walked cautiously into each room, but it did not take long at all, until she was up and running, jabbering away. It is now day two (the second full day) of being home, and we are amazed at how her personality is coming to life! She is full of smiles and relishes in hugs and kisses! To kiss her neck makes her laugh hysterically. All those visits at the Baby House, I would say I knew there was a bubbling kid, just waiting to come out.... Now we are seeing that child emerge!!!! She is like a whole other little girl!!!! It's wonderful to see. She came home very congested and with runny nose, and today has a fever. Yet, she stays happy while sick. We are planning to have her sleep with us until we return from the states. (she will HAVE to sleep in the same room with us while in the states anyway). When we return, we will make the transition to her room. She plays in her room very well, and we change diapers there. She has that routine down well (been through MANY diapers so far!)
The only sign we have seen of mourning so far came this afternoon, for about 5 minutes. I was at the computer and she was sitting on the chair next to me. She was looking at the same picture book she has seen many times when we visitedher at the Baby House. She looked through pictures and would say "Mama" "Papa" "keeska" (her way of saying "koshka" (cat); we gave her a stuffed cat on our first visit). She was fine, then suddenly turned the page and saw Papa and her in the Music room at the Baby House. She started crying loudly, and with tears streaming down her face. She wanted me to pick her up and I took her to the living room. She was o.k. within about 5 minutes of my holding her like an infant, telling her in Russian that I love her and always will.
I believe Cala has lost weight in the last few weeks. Her 18 months sizeclothes are LOOSE on her, and the 12 months size pants fit best. I know this will change with the proper nutrition. I would definitely estimate her developmental level to be that of a young toddler, or older baby. She is more like an 18 month old in many ways. This too will change all too fast I am sure,and I will miss this stage! :o) There you have it..... Life with a toddler!
Gotta love it!!!!!!! Amy a tired, but HAPPY Mama to Cala
This morning, Cala and I looked at her scrapbook before she left for school. We saw a picture that was given to us by our adoption agency of when she was 14 months old (she came home at 2 years, 7 months). It's precious to us! We then saw the pictures of our first meeting with her, and of course the ones taken 6 years ago today!!!! We need to get the videos transferred to DVD so we can watch them again too!
Our daughter has good taste! Many weeks ago she requested for this day, steak, baked potatoes, corn, rolls and chocolate cake. That is what we had! (steak on a new grill her Papa bought yesterday). We gave Cala an "Anya" doll from Language Littles (I'll post pictures tomorrow). She's thrilled!
I am so very happy thinking about how fortunate we are to be this precious baby girl's parents! How did we get so blessed?!
2 comments:
I loved reading this! Can you believe how far she's come - it's amazing!!
It sounds like you had a great day yesterday.
Cala is blessed and a blessing.
Just wanted to wish you a happy Mother's Day. I'm sure it WILL be happy!
Post a Comment