Thursday, January 11, 2007

These Boys!


These boys of mine! These mischievous boys! It was about three days ago that I was sitting on the couch in our family room, and Seth (the one on the left) was sitting next to me. Ethan was at my feet, playing. Suddenly Seth gets up, and says, "I'm going hit Ethan!" Oh my word! It was all I could do to not laugh as I got on to Seth.
Unfortunately for Ethan, I was too late. Seth already had made it there, and Ethan proceeded to wail, "Maaaaamaaaa, Seth hiiiiitttt me" (as if I wasn't there to witness the whole incident! lol).
When we started adopting (back in 2000), we had always wanted a boy first, but told the agency we wanted it to be a surprise as it would be in pregnancy. Being that Russia (as is Guatemala!) has an over abundance of boys for adoption, we always sort of thought we would have a boy first. Of course, we were THRILLED to find we were adopting a girl and she certainly couldn't be more of a match to our family!
Our girl came home in 2001, and in the years that followed, I was so content, but knew one day I needed a son or two! I tell you, I could never ever imagine what a difference my sons would be from my daughter, and all that would go along with raising sons! I am ever thankful to have these boys in my life, and be their Mama. They (along with their older sister whom they love dearly!) are the joys of our lives!
Just last night, Glenn and I were talking about "when we adopt again." Yes, we plan to adopt another girl, and plan that in a year from now we will "re-assess" everything, and decide for sure as to where (although we are seriously thinking of China!) and when to start the process.
I laid there thinking of "down the road" when all my kids are home (meaning our youngest daughter is home), and what a wonderful feeling that will be. After all, adoptions are not for the faint of heart, and are not by no means easy. However, it's definitely worth it to look at your children and know that you can't imagine your life without them!
These boys are so mischievous, they take up my time asking questions, "when is Cala coming home from school?!", "what's dat?", etc. etc. They take up my time with playing with them, feeding them, changing Seth's diapers!, etc. etc. However, they take up my time hugging me, kissing me, and just being the sweetest things in this world!
Just today, I was putting on make up and Ethan said, "Mama, you pretty". :o) A tear came to "me" eye, when Seth said, "Mama, I love you." Wow! These boys are mine! Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

Deb said...

They are so cute!
What a great post.

kate said...

Boys are soooo different, aren't they? My class this year is 11 boys and 4 girls--exactly the opposite of what I started with last year. Wow! Talk about DIFFERENT!

My friend explained the special sweetness of her son by telling this story: She was exhausted (mom of 4 under 5) and on the couch. Her son ( child #2) climbed up next to her, took her face in both his hands and told her, "Mommy, you look like a Barbie Doll."