Sunday, September 02, 2007

Lost on a Saturday Evening

Glenn and I had a nice date Saturday night. (I am writing this at almost 2 a.m. so technically it's Sunday now). I had been wanting to go to eat at Baker's Square for quite awhile (for those who know Perkins, well, it's a step above to me but the best I can describe it). HOWEVER, while we were on our way, I said, "you know we haven't had Mexican food in a long time now!" It seems our guests do not care for Mexican food (gasp! I can't understand that! lol) and so I haven't made it in weeks which is highly unusual around here.

We ended up at what turned out to be a GREAT Mexican restaurant run by real Mexicans-which usually means it's going to be good and not Tex-Mex. We were happy anyway and will definitely go back. Who knows? Maybe next week?! I say run by Mexicans. They were cooking- Americans were the waitresses and ours did as many do and asked me where I am from. When I responded, "Florida, and I get asked that a lot", she said, "I bet you do!" We told her we've lived here now a year and she asked, "and you've still kept your accents? That's neat!" ha Turns out she's lived in Georgia before and said when she would ask for a "pop" they would say, "what?" We got a good laugh from that. We completely understand! :o)

We needed to go by Wal-mart (don't we always?!) but alas I have this terrible curiosity that leads me to often ask, "where does that road go?" So, off we went on one of those roads tonight and uh... got lost! ha Let me clarify a bit: there is a certain city we have heard about that we have wanted to visit for a few weeks now. We saw a sign that pointed towards it and went off the highway to see how far away said city was. When we got off the beaten path (or on it?!), we quickly saw a detour sign but no sign stating how many miles it was to this place. We kept going- through mile after mile of beautiful rolling pastures, farm land everywhere, beautiful red barns, beautiful cows, you get the picture- we were completely in the country. We loved the drive, but we never found the place we were looking for, but DID end up in a "township" as some are called here that we had never heard of. However, we were passing a house that had several men out on the deck. One waved at us which is quite common here in Minnesota. Knowing how friendly most Minnesotans are (and I do mean friendly!), we stopped and asked them how to get back to a town we go to often and would eventually lead us home! After finding out just that, we were back on our way through the country- and uh... did I mention we needed gas? Gas light comes on, we are a good 13 miles still from the next city that we know of. IF we were in our van, we would have never made it to a gas station, but we were in Glenn's truck. Thank the Lord! We made it to another small town we had heard of but never been to (so that was neat to now know where that place is!), and got gas. I should insert here that the first gas station we came to was a brand of gas that if we had been in the van, it would have cut off- it has 4 times with that brand so needless to say we don't run it in the van. Yet again, this was the truck and it took it just fine.

On our way we did go, found our Super Target, decided it would do just as well as Wal-mart for the things we needed and in we went. Cell phones are a great invention as Glenn could go one way, me another and we could call to find out where the other one was, and oh, uh, honey, what do you think about us buying _________ ? lol

We had left our home at not quite five. When we got home tonight, it was after nine. The kids were sleeping, all but Ethan and after checking on him, telling the missionaries we had truly gotten lost on the way home, we came downstairs. Glenn printed out our church bulletin for tomorrow, I practiced the song I will sing, "For Such a Time as This", and then practiced on the keyboard for the songs we will sing as a congregation tomorrow.

So why am I up at 2 a.m.? Couldn't sleep after all the excitement I guess!

No comments: