Christmas was a good day. Of course, underlying was the fact that this was Daddy's last with us. That was hard. That was super hard. To me it felt like we were all actors in a play and trying not to talk about the proverbial elephant in the room... that thing that was weighing heavily on all our hearts and minds.
We started our celebration with Daddy trying to read the Christmas story from Luke, but he was unable to finish and so my youngest brother took over. We all gathered in Daddy's room, around his bed for this, and so it will be a memory that stands out throughout my life. Daddy said he was so glad we were all together and then he prayed.
I believe we all tried to check in with him throughout the opening of gifts, eating our meal, etc. It was indeed nice to be all together.
*** *** *** ***
This past Wednesday night, Glenn and I hosted our nieces and nephew, along with our kids here at Mama and Daddy's house, for a sleep over. We had invited them for Christmas Eve Eve (Dec. 23rd) for our family tradition, but our kids were sick that night. This took the place of it and we had pizza, played games, watched movies, had a good time!
Then, as if that weren't enough fun, on Friday, Glenn and I and our kids, my middle brother and his wife, their daughter, my youngest brother's daughter, and two of my oldest brother's kids all went to the beach! This was in lieu of what we call our "Cousins Trip". Let me back up and explain... I am not really sure when our first ever trip was like this, but back when Glenn and I first married, before we had our first child, we would take my nieces and nephews (whoever was here at that time) for what we called back then, a "Nieces and Nephews" trip. We would go out to eat and spend the night at some motel, where we could swim and have a good time being together.
Enter our daughter, and now it was no longer a "nieces and nephews" trip, but rather a "Cousins" trip! This time, not being able to afford two motel rooms as it would now take, but wanting to do something with them all (especially since two of them brought it up!!!!), we decided to ask one of my brothers if he and his wife could take a load and accompany the cousins to the beach. We had a picnic there and stayed 4 hours or so!!! Everyone had a great time and it was just what we needed that particular day. I wouldn't trade that memory for anything! We said all day, "I am so glad we did this."
NOW, being the glutton for punishment that I am, (HA!), once we got back here to Mama and Daddy's house- around 6:30 p.m., we rushed everyone through the shower, and once all were finished dressing, off we went to the MALL!!!!!! Ugghh.. I am so not a mall person, but do confess to loving to go watch people! This was a previously planned mall trip (planned before the beach was planned). When I told the cousins about going to the beach, as I knew would happen, my 16 yr. old niece replied, "does this mean we're NOT going to the MALL?" HA HA Wouldn't you know it, my 9 year old daughter asked the very same thing?!
It was perfectly timed though at the mall, as once we got there, we only had an hour before they closed! Couldn't have worked out better, don't you think?
**** **** ****
I am very glad for these memories- the fun times amidst the pain. I can't forget however that Thursday, I leave for Minnesota. I am so sad about that I can't imagine what I'm going to do. Continue praying.
4 comments:
It is a blessing that you had this time together and had one last special Christmas. Praying so hard as you face heading back to MN!
Luke 2:29-32 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.
As the new year begins everyone's thinking about time and counting it down. So I wanted to share THE section of Scripture dealing with time. Praying as one year ends and a new one begins. Whatever this new year holds, the Lord WILL be with you!
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
These verses were part of my husband's sermon text today. This is a really good passage and speaks a lot to us all as we face a new year. Praying!
Lamentations 3:21-26 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.
Still praying!
Psalms 91:1-4 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
Post a Comment