This was one of those mornings when what could go wrong did go wrong! I strive to have my house ready at the drop of a hat... meaning if we were to get to the Sunday morning meeting place (a school) and for some strange reason it wasn't oh say, open for us, that we could just rush back to our house and hold services.
Last night, our church members held a birthday party for me at their house. We had a great time, eating supper, having cake, playing games, (opening presents :o) . I guess I could blame it on being gone so long but really, I had told Cala to not worry about cleaning the foyer (entryway) until this afternoon- so it would be ready for church tonight (which we always have Sunday night and Wednesday night services here in our home). I had let her leave some stuff for the recycle bin too! Let me back up and say that the main reason I did that was because I knew we were going to be gone late, and would be tracking in more snowy boots, so why not wait until Sunday afternoon?!
Can you see where this is going?! We get to our meeting place and there sat a packed parking lot. Well, wouldn't it be great if they were all there for church? BUT we knew that wasn't true and there went my sinking feeling.... the doors were locked!!!! There was some sort of event going on in the school next door to the one where we meet, but folks were parked everywhere. Oh did my heart sink....
The dear church goers said they would drive slow :o) hee hee and we rushed back here to spruce up the place.... Cala, I've got to brag on her here, because this is HIGHLY UNUSUAL for her, but she did really, really well at just pitching in and going to work! She grabbed the broom, grabbed the Swiffer and got the foyer going while I quick picked up dirty towels off my bathroom floor. The boys got busy with the family room (which wasn't really bad at all, just a couple of play swords on the floor- a.k.a paper towel rolls! ha).
AND then the phone rang... a dear soul wanting to know if she had gone to the wrong place- Glenn explained about the mix up at our meeting place and told her how to get to our home... he then offered to go meet her in town to make sure she got here with no trouble. (one less person to help with Glenn being gone is all I could think, right after I praised the Lord for her coming! ha). Then our church folks show up, and I panic. ha Glenn asked them to take him to town (bless you dear husband, giving me more time to clean before everyone is back), to insure the woman who called would get here o.k. HOWEVER, my dear friend jumps out of her van to say she would stay and help me. Glenn, trying to save his wife from being embarrassed at anyone seeing her home like this, replied, "oh that's o.k. Sister."
HOWEVER, about that time, CALA PANICS! "MAMA, Sister ______ is getting out of her van!" I just had to laugh at that point, and really it turned out to be a blessing! She came in and asked what she could do and I (who normally am inclined at these times to respond with, "why, just sit down and relax, nothing, we've just about got it."), replied, "you can vacuum the family room if you don't mind." And off she went.... Meanwhile, I am taking over the Swiffer while sending Cala upstairs to put the broom away, and notice a sheet still tacked to the wall (which is there when the kids have to sleep downstairs in extreme cold).... I am just about to ask Cala to come down quickly when I see dear Cala drinking some water! ugghhh (no time to be thirsty, girl!). I then hear the door of the laundry room close....
Oh, the laundry room.... sigh... I don't even want to mention Mt. Washmore that is going on in there. I ought to charge admission for the view!!! HAAAAAAAA Let me just say that with the knowledge that this dear woman (who I truly thank God for coming to help at that point), had seen my laundry room.... I used a word my sweet saint of a Mama would use..........
I was MORTIFIED.
By the way, I thought church went really well. You can believe me that this will never happen again! Next Sunday, it will be spotless that morning- and of course, the meeting place will be open, welcoming us in.
2 comments:
Glad you accepted the help! I'm sure she was happy to be able to help you! You've gotta chill! Everybody has dirty houses now and then...and some more now than then! It's okay!
Only the Lord knows all the "whys"...His way is always best! Praying!
Romans 11:33-36 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.
Oh I can imagine your mortification, I'd be the same way! But I'm sure it wasn't too awful. I'm glad you felt close enough with this lady to let her help you! After all, she had you out partying the night before LOL, no wonder your house wasn't tip top shape :O)
Post a Comment