My Daddy has had prostate cancer for 13 years or so. It's been very slow growing and just in the past year became more serious. He's been taking chemo and the effects of it really have been rough at times. Thankfully, it's not as bad as many people have gone through, but it's been bad enough. He's a Pastor, and has had to miss a good many services, mostly on Wednesdays that follow a chemo day.
This Wednesday was one such day. My husband filled in for Dad at church. He did the service centered around the subject of prayer. It really struck me as we prayed for each and every one listed on that church bulletin prayer list (that I put together!), just how often it becomes mundane... it becomes easy to say, "Lord bless Brother Billy Bob with his health problems." "Lord, bless everyone we know that is sick, everyone that's not saved, may they be saved..." It's not that perhaps we don't mean those prayers. It's just I think (I know) there's more! After all, if one of my three children came to me saying, "I'm hurting Mama", wouldn't I ask where? Wouldn't I begin to help that child in the exact location they are in pain?
Am I making any sense?! I don't know! ha I just think God must appreciate it more when we ask specifically for our needs and those of others. I thought tonight about a dear friend of mine who is going through the roller coaster ride of a Russian adoption. I thought how specifically I need to pray for her and her husband, their daughter AND their precious little one awaiting them in Russia. You see, I very well know what that is like. I can sympathize, empathize in every which way with what they are going through.
So, tonight, as I go to bed, I vow to pray with more thought to those prayers.
"Dear Lord, please bless my friend tonight and her family. Help their hurting hearts tonight as they await word from Russia, as they feel so alone in ways, so desperate in others. Give them hope, and please, dear God, may they hear very, very soon that little V can come home to them! They long to have her with them!"
1 comment:
Thank you so much for those specific prayers! At times I feel all "prayed out." Knowing others are picking up where we're leaving off is very encouraging.
You've got me crying again, I'd better go drink so more water!
Post a Comment