International Women's Day is celebrated in many, many countries. We celebrated it in Russia, and have kept it up since moving :o) It's a time to celebrate not only the women in your life that are important to you, but also the girls. Glenn always has bought Cala and me flowers and/or candy on this day. (he just happens to be "out in town" right now!). ;o)
I must say, today I am really missing my dear friends in Russia. I always looked forward to March 8th when I was sure to hear from those friends. Inevitably, I would receive a little gift from the teenage girls in our church there. Many times, a "doily" or something else they had crocheted just for me. How special it always made me feel that they included this American in their holiday.
Glenn began giving me gifts on this day even before we had a Russian daughter... from the beginning of living in Russia, we decided to celebrate the more important holidays there, and have continued to so- especially now for Cala.
I have an Albanian sister in law whom I try to remember to at least email on this day. I need to do so shortly here, as this was a big day to her too!
I was thrilled this morning to see an e-card from a dear (American) friend of mine, wishing me a Happy Women's Day. That brought a real smile to my face, since I honestly thought I wouldn't hear from anyone other than Glenn today. (o.k. of course, I just miss the "old days" today).
No comments:
Post a Comment