Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sad Ethan

Ethan had a setback yesterday afternoon. I believe it had to do with me not being awake when he came home from school. Due to my fibromyalgia, I was extra tired today. Seth normally takes a nap at 3, right when Ethan comes home, and takes one as well. However, yesterday (Wednesday), Seth and I were in my bed talking and we both fell asleep! Glenn said Ethan seemed almost ready to cry when he went to his nap.

While I was cooking supper, Ethan came upstairs to get something. I held him a few minutes and noticed he was extra sad looking. Before it was over, he said, "I sad. You goin' leave me at cool." I explained that I would never ever leave him at school!, and I honestly have it figured out that he is associating school with the orphanage he was in (Guatemala). We even talked a bit about Guatemala and I explained (with the help of Cala I might add :o) that back when he lived there, I would have given anything to have him home with me. It just took time and we came for him as quickly as we could. Of course I don't know how much his four year old mind is grasping, but I will keep explaining whenever he needs it. I held him really close, made him make eye contact and said in English AND Spanish that I am his Mama forever and nothing is going to change that. Cala said, "you know we can't do without our Papito". (I call Ethan "mi papito"- my little daddy, a Spanish term of endearment).

Oh how my heart aches thinking about the losses Ethan has gone through in his short life. Strangely enough, it was age 4 when Cala began talking a lot about living in an orphanage, wanting a Mama and a Papa, etc. It was around the same time that she began talking almost daily about us never leaving her, etc. Now at age 8, she has that all straight in her mind and is trying to help re-assure her brother.

I sincerely pray that we get through to Ethan how much we love him and we aren't going anywhere... I told him, "you just try to get me away from you! You're stuck with me!"

7 comments:

kate said...

What a wonderful thing it must've been to see Cala reassuring her brother! I know that soon it will be his turn to do the reassuring.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Suz said...

I'm sure he does associate school with the orphanage, all the kids and the structured setting. It sounds like you all are doing a great job of assuring him though, and how neat that Cala can help too!

Do you feel like he is struggling more with it than even Cala did?

Maggie said...

I think it's so wonderful how your daughter helped.

U.N. Mama said...

Yes Suz, he's definitely struggling more than Cala did.

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful children, Amy. It's a blessing to see the bonding going on with all of you. What a lovely family. The best thing to remind Ethan of is how we are adopted into God's family, through His son Jesus Christ, who came all the way down here to rescue us so we could live with Him forever. What a love that is, that only He can give. A special love that God placed in you and Glenn's heart for each of them. And He promised He will never leave us! Hallelujah!

Anonymous said...

There's a little treat on the way that may make Ethan feel better. It's for ALL of you to share!

SBP

U.N. Mama said...

Thank you! We will look forward to it :o)