I wish I was four years old again, sleeping in between my Mama and Daddy, holding on to Daddy's white t-shirt because I felt safe.
I wish I was a kid hearing my Daddy sing, "I love you a bushel and a peck" (as he still does to his grandchildren today).
I wish I was 13 years old, standing in a line at a store (with Daddy), and him saying, "wonder what these people would do if I suddenly started singing out loud?", and then... he did.
I wish I was 14 years old, and Daddy was driving me past a certain boy's house just because he knew I wanted to "catch a glimpse" of said boy.
I wish I was 17 years old, going through a drive thru at Wendy's with my Daddy. This drive thru is where a boy I dated worked. My Daddy asked if he were there and upon hearing he wasn't working that day said, "Well, tell him his father in law came by." (talk about embarrassing! The boy called the next day and asked if by chance we had been by there!) HA
I wish I was 22 years old, walking down the aisle with my Daddy and then having him perform the wedding ceremony for Glenn and me. Daddy forgot about a rose ceremony we were going to do and upon remembering said, "sorry folks. I forgot something here. After all, my baby girl is getting married!"
I wish I was 28 years old and heading off to Russia to live, and hearing my Daddy say, "even though I will miss you terribly, I am proud of ya'll for going where God has sent you."
I wish I was not quite 30 years old, home for the first time from Russia, and seeing my Daddy so very excited that we were "home" for a few months.
I wish I was 30 years old and seeing my Daddy with our new daughter for the first time. He was so very proud to have a Russian grandchild!
I wish I was 34 years old and bringing home my sons from Guatemala. Upon seeing them, Daddy held the baby and said about our other son "we will teach him to like dogs and hunting and fishing".
I wish I was 35 years old, moving to Minnesota and hearing my Daddy say, "you have to not worry about what folks think about you leaving Russia. If God has called ya'll to Minnesota, then you simply have to go!"
I wish I was 36 years old and in Florida for my youngest brother's ordination. I have a great picture of my Daddy and my brother. It stays in my mind- a wonderful image of my father just two months before he fell and life would change.
I wish I was 37 years old (as I am now) and in Florida by my Daddy's bed side. Somedays like today, grief simply rolls in and I miss him terribly bad. I realize how quickly things change and I wish for days gone by.
I have a great daddy. I wish everyone did.
3 comments:
Sorry you're missing your Dad so much...
When I was thinking about today this hymn came to mind immediately so I wanted to share it. Know that I'm praying!
1. There is a fountain filled with blood
Drawn from Immanuel's veins,
And sinners plunged beneath that flood
Lose all their guilty stains.
2. The dying thief rejoiced to see
That fountain in his day;
And there have I, as vile as he,
Washed all my sins away.
3. Dear dying Lamb, Thy precious blood
Shall never lose its power
Till all the ransomed Church of God
Be saved to sin no more.
4. E'er since by faith I saw the stream
Thy flowing wounds supply,
Redeeming love has been my theme
And shall be till I die.
5. When this poor lisping, stammering tongue
Lies silent in the grave,
Then in a nobler, sweeter song
I'll sing Thy power to save.
The Lutheran Hymnal
Hymn #157
Text: Zech. 13:1
Oh Amy. I'm crying with you. I understand how you feel. But praise the Lord, we have hope! Hope for today and hope for tomorrow. I love you, sister.
Wen
Vivit! He lives! Saying extra prayers on this special day.
Luke 24:44-47 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
Post a Comment