Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Friends

I am thankful for friends who still call. You see, many times I have seen that people are forgotten in their grief. The cards stop, the calls, emails, etc. stop. Just like that... people go on back to their lives while the grieving still feel as if the world has stopped.

As a Pastor's Wife, I am vowing not to be this way (and as a friend). I personally think it would be great if for a month following the death of a spouse let's say, that someone would still bring in a meal once a week. What a blessing that would be! My Mama has my sister in law there with her, but of course my sister in law grieves too.
I am particularly thinking though about those who have no one, all have gone and there sits the grieving widow (or widower). Who feels like cooking?! I don't and I didn't lose my spouse!

SO back to my post title... I was very happy yesterday to get a "checking on you" phone call from a girl (she's 3 years younger than me, maybe that's why I said, "girl"?) that I grew up with... to me, I count her my sister. In fact, as soon as I let her know that Daddy had died, she jumped in her car and headed to Mama's house. She called first asking them to hold the body so she could say her final bye. She called me back telling me how she "told Daddy" that his girls (she and I) would stay in contact. She was just a true friend then and it was nice to have her call.

Then a woman who I became best friends with in junior high and high school (and hadn't seen in at least 4 years) came to the viewing and the funeral (I called her the day of Daddy's death--- she and her husband had visited him last fall when he was in the hospital, but before I got to Florida back then.... anyway, she called me today. We've been emailing since I got home Saturday, and then she called checking on me, as well as to tell me that her precious 93 year old grandmother is not long for this world. I have met her Grandma many years ago, and I feel her hurt.

I must end this post by saying that I thank GOD for these phone calls. Yesterday I felt myself slipping into depression and it only got worse today. Both calls helped me right at a moment of just about to cry.

We took Glenn to the doctor today- he woke up not speaking, swollen face (looked like Mick Jagger!), fever, throat hurting. He has a throat infection. While there, I talked to the doctor about my not sleeping and let her know that my Daddy had gone on. (I had been in there a few weeks ago). She told me what to try first before we consider a prescription. I about broke down in there because a nurse asked why we had been in Florida- was it for vacation? OF COURSE she had no clue about my Daddy, and I felt awful for her when I said, "no, my father died." She apologized profusely and I told her "no problem, you didn't know." I think it was after that though that it hit me in the face again.

It was after that, that my friend from school called. God was good to send that call my way right when I needed it most. We even got cut off while talking but it just helped to hear a familiar voice. Thank you Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am always just an email away if you need me!
Praying right now!
Romans 8:15-18 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.