Sunday, August 20, 2006

Something We're Doing Right!

I actually fell asleep last night before signing on to this blog! That in itself is amazing because anyone who knows me well knows I am the classic night owl! I feel the most awake, the most alive late at night!

I said all that to say this (wow! that just sounded like a line out of my Dad's preaching, "I said all that to say this" ....) ha .....

I wanted to share with ya'll how a compliment can sure be encouraging! Yesterday evening we were ready to go eat supper and debated as always , "where do you want to go?" "I don't care. It doesn't matter, where do you want to go?" (to which I always wonder why can't one of us just make a decision!?! ha ha). We ended up at Baker's Square. For those with no frame of reference to what Baker's Square is, think Perkins or better still, it's a lot like the old Village Inn Restaurants. (I think a few of those still exist, but none around our home area, anyway, hence why I said, "old").

I must first say here that Seth, our 20 month old is going through this very clingy stage where Mama MUST be in sight or nothing is right! He's really been quite the bear lately too. SO, that doesn't make dining out the best experience, although we're really trying to change that. I must also say that usually when we walk in a restaurant I get this feeling that most people (withOUT kids) are thinking, "oh no! here come three kids! Yikes!" That may just be me feeling that way, but because I do, I really try to keep the kids calm. I certainly don't prefer to eat out while hearing kids yelling, so why should anyone else!?

About half way through our supper, an older couple got up to leave (yes, they had already eaten!). They stopped at our table and the lady said, "Excuse me for interrupting you, but I just HAD to tell you how wonderful your children are. You certainly are doing something right, so keep it up! It will really pay off later."

I just wanted to cry right there, but managed to say "thank you." You see, just yesterday morning, I was feeling like my kids were not obeying a thing I said. Oh, they'll obey Papa, but what is up with not wanting to obey Mama? So, this was just such an encouragement to me (and to Papa too!) :o) Compliments do go a long way... I think I'll try to compliment someone soon.

1 comment:

Suz said...

That is great, and so nice of the lady to actually tell you and not just think it. Sometimes we "think" a compliment, but don't feel comfortable imparting it. Yay for Mama and Papa!