Thursday, October 12, 2006

The place I missed the Most

All the years living in Russia, when someone here in the states would ask, "what do you most miss about the U.S.?", I would without a doubt answer, "Wal-mart!" My other answer would sometimes be "a bathroom where both the toilet and the sink are in the same room." Today, I spent way too much time in Wal-mart and had a cultural moment. I started having flash backs to Russia, actually longing to be there, no matter how little choices I had in products. It seems there are many different kinds of green beans here, and I am left wondering which one to choose! Made a mistake recently, and bought a brand that I will never choose again. Now, I go with the Great Value (Wal-mart) brand! There's 50 choices of cereal or more, where as in Russia, I would have given anything to see more than 5 ! My baby son and I today went up and down the aisles, and I just absoulutely had a moment of, "what has happened here? Is this me?! My son?! Me? Living in the states? ME?! Living in Minnesota????????" I guess it still takes time to let it all soak in.

Here's my precious baby girl as I call her- Today was Crazy Hair Day. We sprayed her hair blue and white. It mostly showed up blue in the back, and looking gray in the front. She was happy anyway. I enjoyed picking her up and seeing mowhawks, pink hair, orange hair, just all out crazy hair! What fun for these kids! Tomorrow concludes Spirit Week with Blue and White Day- their school colors. I think I'm having too much fun. lol

1 comment:

kate said...

Hey! The times they are a changin'...at least here in St. P. We do have quite the selection of products at the larger, "Western" stores. There are still little magazines with limited choices, but it's easier to get familiar things. When I saw the jolly green giant on a can of veg last spring, I nearly burst into tears.

No Wal-mart news here. I'd LOVE a Target...