Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Fourteen Years Ago- and Today

Fourteen years ago, I was just 22. Glenn was 21. Fourteen years ago yesterday, we were married in my hometown, at the Missionary Baptist Church where we grew up- my Daddy was (and is still) the Pastor. Glenn's Dad is a deacon. Fourteen years ago, we sure looked different and life was different- never did we expect life to take us to Russia and then to Minnesota! Never did we really expect to have children from 3 different heritages. We are so glad that God led us to Russia, then Minnesota, and ever thankful for the 3 kids that are ours. They may be nuts, but "they're our nuts!" ha.


Fourteen years ago, we sure didn't look as happy as we do today, did we?! ha ha I promise you, we were thrilled. We must have been tired or in shock! ha
Can you spot the little nose right behind Glenn? That was Jesse, my now 19 year old nephew. He was the "train bearer" (carried the train of my dress). He was just five years old and super close to his Aunt Amy. (or "Ay-wee" as he called me). He spent the entire reception crying, not just crying, wailing because he thought that when we left for our honeymoon, I would never be returning! He was very upset about it!!!!
Wonder what we would change if we knew then what we know now! Something to think about. I think God certainly doesn't reveal the supposed "big picture" to us for a really good reason! I know I would probably make a mess of His ultimate plan if I knew every little thing that would happen.
By the way, we had a really nice 14th anniversary. I am truly blessed to be married to Glenn. As is our tradition, if on Valentine's or our anniversary we can't go somewhere without the kids (and right now we don't know anyone well enough to leave the kids with).... then Glenn cooks our supper, a special meal just for him and me. We had a wonderful meal last night- rivaling any restaurant!
As I write this, we are almost 2 hours from the house- spending two nights at a nice hotel, that through our Choice Rewards points, is totally FREE!!!!! (the best kind!). Yes, the kids are here, that's true, but we're enjoying this family time in celebration of our anniversary. It's our last hurrah before school starts again and our church begins meeting in the city we feel God leading us to plant it in. We are currently waiting for the man in charge to call us back with the finalization of when we can start.... we want to be meeting there (in a school) by the first Sunday in September.
One more thought- wonder what life will look like fourteen years from now?! I'll be uh.... 50. gasp.

No comments: