Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Farther than Expected

We drove and we drove and we drove.... we told the kids this morning we would stop a lot sooner than we got to last night. After all, that was the reason we left earlier this morning. HA! You have to remember, we have a lot of stuff with us!!! When we travel, we prefer to find an "interior corridor" motel. Not this time! With all this stuff, we much prefer an exterior corridor (meaning you pull right to your door, and can just unload everything right there).

So, we started looking for a room around 5 p.m., which is the time we prefer to stop (since having kids). It wasn't happening! Everything was interior corridors, so we just kept driving. Same old story down the road, and then we found a place with one room left on the bottom floor (oh yes, of course we have to have a bottom floor with all this stuff!). It was too expensive for what they offered and so we went on.

We found another place, but we have always said if one of us felt bad about a place we wouldn't stay. I don't know how to explain it other than I just felt no peace about this place.... and something "told me" to drive around back. There in back were three "undesirables" drinking "yucky drink" as my daughter calls it. I just knew then I didn't want to stay there.

And so we drove..... we ended up in the middle of corn fields in Illinois, with nothing else in sight! At long last around 8:30, we were all so hungry and decided we were getting food no matter what. (there had been no possibility of food for a looooonng time!). There we saw it... a Super 8, which looked to have outside doors on the bottom floor. Glenn went, got the room, we pulled around only to find the doors have been changed, and no longer are really there. (hard to explain). Ha Ha! It's funny almost... Thankfully we have the last room close to the door in the hallway, so it's not as bad as it could be.

We did just decide on which place to stay in our new home town.... it's actually an indoor place, but by then, we will have picked up our truck, and can leave things in the covered bed. (which is locked).

More than exhausted, but getting excited the farther we go....

3 comments:

Suz said...

Wow, Illinois. I'll bet I know a couple of Baptist Mamas who are going to be wondering how close you are!!

Glad you finally found a place and I hope you got good rest.

Anonymous said...

Hey, this Illinoisan just got back home from visiting family in Central IL. I'm wondering how close you were!
:P Joy

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »