Monday, September 11, 2006

That Day

We are still sick here, but I just couldn't let the day pass by without posting a bit about that dreadful day five years ago.

We were missionaries in Russia, but had been "home" in the states for furlough, having brought Cala home from Russia (had just adopted her that May). We flew through JFK airport (New York) when we brought her home. I remember thinking how neat it was she immigrated to the U.S. through the modern day Ellis Island.

When September 11th rolled around, we were staying at my parents home. I was laying down on the couch watching tv (probably had just gotten up with Cala a few minutes before). I remember Glenn saying something about a plane had just hit (the first plane) and at that point we thought it was some sort of terrible accident. We had the news on and were watching live as the second plane hit. That image replays in my mind as I write this. My Daddy was at the post office, just returned and I remember almost crying out, "did you hear about the twin towers?!" Someone at the post office had mentioned something about it he said, but at that time he too thought it an accident.

I remember trying my best to keep Cala, who was not quite 3 yrs. old, away from the tv. (To this day, Glenn and I try to "shelter" the kids from the horrible news of the world, the horrible images- what's the point of them seeing and being terrified?!).

I remember talking to my brother Ted ( he was a missionary in Albania at the time), telling him that I was a bit scared. Scared of what might happen next. I believe he was flying to the states soon, and we were all wondering about the flights- as the airport had shut down.

I remember going to Wal-mart either that day or the following day, and the employees were gathered around in the front discussing security issues!!! This was Wal-mart!!!!!!!! It was very very strange to go anywhere for days, and EVERYONE was quiet!!!!!!! Everyone! It was an eery quiet, as if the whole world knew you had suffered some great loss. People would have tears in their eyes and I remembering feeling like we all needed a group hug!

Being the PK and PW I am, I also remember that there were a few extras at church the following Sunday.

I remember watching every bit of coverage I could get on the subject, and wishing I was back in Russia, where strangely enough, I felt safe. Our friends in Russia were very, very concerned for us, and just cried at the news. Their thoughts were, "This is America! It's not supposed to happen in America!" They were extremely sympathetic, and in the following years, by the way, I had a few conversations concerning that day with my good friend in Russia. Trying to tell that story in Russian none-the-less, brought tears once again.

In the weeks and months that followed, I remember feeling comforted by President Bush's comments and speeches, and being comforted by the country song "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?" by Alan Jackson. I remember thinking, "just maybe, just maybe this will bring the U.S. closer to the Lord." I think for a time, perhaps, it did.... sad how that slips away.

I read Let's Roll by Lisa Beamer, widow of Todd Beamer that was a passenger on Flight 93. I recommend that book to anyone wishing to read a bit about a victim, a hero of that tragedy. Something I carry with me always is that Todd Beamer had September 11th circled on his calendar as the day he was going to start his diet, the day he would start a few new routines. I remember also that Lisa said in that book how thankful she was that the week before, they spent in Italy, a place Todd was so happy to be.

I have been sad today for our country, sad today for the victims' families, and prayerful for our President as well as our troops.

I remember. Let us not forget.

2 comments:

kate said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences of that day. I was in London, so it was very different. I remember a friend telling me that when I returned it would be to a different country--that something had been lost, something broken.

I was, and still am, comforted by and proud of President Bush.

Nan said...

Hi! Thanks for the post.

I would love to send you the code for the Pastor's Wives blogroll so that you can put it in your template. But I need your e-mail. You can e-mail me at yellowbird33 at telus dot net (and perhaps you can delete this comment so my e-mail isn't public property).
:^)
Thanks!
When you put the blogroll up, make sure to make a post about the new blogroll to help spread the word!
Nan