I was just watching a commercial talking about some families speak English, some families speak Spanish, and some speak Spanglish. (mixing the both). hmmm... I'm trying to figure out what you would call us! You see, at our supper table you will hear English, Spanish and Russian. ha ha What a mix up!
Just this evening at supper, had you been a guest, you would have heard:
Papa: (which is Glenn, by the way- Papa is the Russian word for Dad)- Dasha (a Russian nickname that we call Cala some)- "Dasha, tee hoh-chesh mah-la-koh" (Russian for "Dasha, do you want milk?")
Mama: Seth: Sientate ahora mismo! (Spanish for "sit down, right now!")
Or even Spanglish when I said, "Ethan! Drink your leche ahora!" (Drink your milk now!)
Oh my! I didn't even think about what a mess we are at times. It sure keeps it interesting though :o)
5 comments:
Russpanglishian - that is the language of the McCarver household!
too cute - how about Spanrussglish :-P
I'd love to be at your house for dinner!
And, I'm glad Cala is feeling more at home in her new class. In a few weeks, she'll be great!
At the beginning of every year, my old students are piniing away and visiting daily. By now, they're excited to see me around school and drop by weekly. Soon, they'll simply have fond memories of second grade--and think their THIRD grade teacher is the BEST! I'm sure Cala will come to love her new teacher, too.
Kate
ps I just got a dinner invite from one of my families from last year. I'm looking forward to a lovely meal--and a more relaxed relationship with that former student. Maybe Cala's old teacher could come by for dinner?
This is funny! My daughter became fluent in German bu sudying there her Junior year in High School. As if German and English wasn't enough of a mix, when she returned to her Spanish class, she would mix English, German and Spanish in one sentence. I would ask her to pick one language and preferable the one I was fluent in. (She is now studyiing in Spain, so who knows what she will be like when she returns in Dec.)
Hope you are adjusting to MN. I have lived here most of my life, but did spend a bit of time in Central FL as well, so I know the difference can be brutal. At least when everyone here is complaining about the heat, humidity and mosquitoes next year, you can tell them about REAL heat, humidity and bugs!
Post a Comment