Thursday, September 14, 2006

Oh why can't it be sweet?!

I believe I posted one time about how I heard a cashier tell another one that she couldn't understand me when I spoke. I know she asked me three times to repeat myself! HA HA! She told the other cashier it was because I was southern. Ha ha SO, I thought then, "wow. how interesting life is going to be around here for awhile!" I was right.

It's becoming a daily thing- if I'm out in town and open my mouth, I get asked, "where are you from?" or "where in the south are you from?!" One day Glenn and I were together at a furniture store. I said, "yes, sir." He replied, "just where in the south are you from?" and Glenn who I tell you NEVER says this, said, "Flar-da" like some folks pronounce Florida. We laugh about that now, but it was as if Glenn was playing into the guy's question about where I was from. ha ha Glenn is from "Flarda" too, but I tell him sometimes he sounds like a yankee (or excuse me, a northerner) because he pronounces a couple of things totally differently than I do. hee hee

SO, I'm asked this constantly and because of it I have really started noticing people's accents. I've had to tell my Russian princess on many occasions that it's not the people around us that "talk funny", it's us. It's all a matter of perception. In the south, it's definitely the other guy that comes down and doesn't know what grits are (this has actually happened- I have a documented case from a few years back), but anywhere else... it's us dear.

Today Cala asked me for "mulk". I said, "WHAT?!" She replies, "oh, I'm sorry, Mama, but you just knew it was going to happen. I mean I hear these kids ask everyday for "mulk". Uh, Mama, can I have some "meelk". (said more like we say milk). I just smiled and say, "why certainly, bless your heart, you can." ha

Why you ask is my post titled, "oh why can't it be sweet?!" I guess because I long to go in a restaurant and order sweet tea knowing it's there. sigh... I'll just have to make it myself. (I do, and coincidentally, my El Salvadoran/Guatemalan born (oldest) son LOVES LOVES LOVES!!!!!!! sweet tea!). I'm raisin' him right. (which he says the word "right" way more with a southern accent than I do!" ha ha)

I do like it here by the way... the people have been the friendliest I've EVER met. I must admit that.

3 comments:

C.C. said...

Since we moved to New Mexico (and mind you, we're less than 15 minutes from the Texas border), I have been unable to find sweet tea like we had in Texas. :-(

Miry Lou said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I'm from the south too--Memphis and I live up north now. I must say that my Southern accent is gone after 10 years of northern exposure. Praise the Lord I don't say "you betcha" or "for cute!" I prefer the southern accent...I think.

I miss sweet tea, too. My husband doesn't like it so I don't even make it, really. But when I go home my family always recruits me to make the tea, cause they say no one makes it better than I do (in my family).

Suz said...

I was wondering how this was going for you. It will be amazing how quickly your children's accents change but you my dear probably never will. Maybe you all should just speak Russian or Spanish while you're out and about? That would be funny.